Home: Toronto, Ontario
Media: Oil on canvas
Dimensions: 92 x 77 cm
The self-portrait, for me, acts as a marker, the process often entered into at a time of searching, seeking clarity on a question. During the painting of this self-portrait in my studio, I was preoccupied with the notion of the artist as separate from the rest of me. A need arose to use the mirror frame to interrupt the space, dividing the figure from her tools. There is a sadness inherent in the separation. The artist: alone and apart from not only other aspects of herself, but from others in her life. I have attempted to express a deep and enduring love of art making.
- Born: Toronto
- Education: 1981 Graduated Guelph University, B.A.
1977-1984 Ontario College of Art, 4 year Fine Arts Diploma
1983/84 Final year of OCA study in Florence, Italy
- Professional Memberships: Elected to the Ontario Society of Artists
Elected to the Canadian Society of Painters in WatercolourMain body of work consists largely of landscape; however, portraiture remains a strong but very separate concern. The self-portrait practice helps to center me in my world as an art maker.
- Painting, Drawing (watercolours and oils) and Printmaking
- Positions: Advisory panel for Ontario Heritage Trust regarding Doris McCarthy Artist in Residency
- Related: Painting companion to the late Doris McCarthy